Choosing a Passion

I've been feeling truly inspired since finishing the Whole30, and I have to give the credit to those healthy choices I made over the 30 days. Now, even though my diet may not be nearly as healthy (I'm currently eating skittles and drinking a Caramel Latte at Barnes n Noble), I'm still feeling the effects of that positive self-treatment.  For instance, I've created over 50 new items for my jewelry shop since before Whole30.

I've decided, even though I love to write and the idea of writing fiction as a career is something I've always dreamed of, I've given in to the lack of time I have in my life right now to dedicate to writing. It's just not happening. During waking hours for my kids, I'm running around getting them dropped off and picked up, with breakfast and dressing and dinner and homework and playing and bathing before and after.  Then from 9 to 4:30, I work for my day job (aka, not jewelry, not writing).  When they're down for bed each night, I spend time with my husband...so the hours of 7 to 9 each night are usually reserved for a couple of shows or a movie. Then, by 9, I'm way too mentally exhausted to stay up past everyone else's bedtimes to write anything worth reading. The jewelry, on the other hand is something I can easily slip into after they go to bed. Turn on a show, drink a glass of wine, make 10 rings.

When I decided to stop working towards writing for the purpose of getting published, I couldn't just shut off those creative urges, and jewelry has always been my way of dealing with some of the overflow, so I realized that I could focus a lot more of those urges at random times throughout the day on working with customers (sending a message while I'm walking back to my car after dropping off my daughter at daycare, for instance). I also find it a lot easier to get mini breaks from my parenting duties to do a couple of quick jewelry creating tasks, the kids are old enough to understand mommy needs breaks and they usually behave well enough for 20 minutes here, 20 minutes there....spending those 20 minutes on something other than Facebook makes me a much happier person. Even as bad as I want to be, I'm just not capable of taking a 20 minute mini-break from making breakfast and putting shoes on to write...it takes me about that long usually to get in the right mental state for it.

So, if you've read this far, this is my explanation for the boost in social media, the boost in new items, and the boost in motivation for Carmella's Jewelry. I have always had two passions, but I tried splitting myself in two for them, and now I'm choosing one to focus on...for now at least. At least until my children are adults (which sounds like a long time, but in the grand scheme of things, I'm okay with putting one of my passions on hold until I can give it the kind of time it deserves).

Now I'll go back to enjoying my Latte and my Mother's Day. Wishing you all a very happy Mother's Day as well.  We're the toughest breed of humans there is, in my opinion.

Comments